If you have been arrested for driving under the influence, you are probably wondering what to expect during the first interview with your Jacksonville DUI lawyer. Your first meeting will most likely occur at your attorney’s office and will cover topics such as: the events surrounding your DUI arrest, charges and consequences of your arrest, the upcoming trial, and strategies and preparation for your defense at trial.
Events Surrounding Your DUI Arrest
- Your attorney will ask you to relate a chronological account of the events surrounding the arrest.
- You should recite your actions, beginning from a few hours before the incident and ending after your release from police custody.
- Be sure to point out any food or other beverages you may have consumed prior to driving under the influence (if any).
- Catalog the specific types of alcoholic drinks you imbibed before your DUI and the timeline over which you consumed them.
Your Jacksonville DUI lawyer will also ask personal information, including (but not limited to):
- Telephone number
- Marital status
- Place of business
- You should expect your DUI lawyer to record any prior criminal history or criminal convictions, any prior contact with law enforcement officers, and any previous motor vehicle discretions or sentences.
- Your attorney will do this to judge your degree of truthfulness, decide whether to discuss a plea agreement on your behalf, and arrange preparations and strategies for trial.
- Be honest about any prior driving under the influence convictions, since they can affect the prison sentence if you are found guilty at the upcoming trial.
- If you are found guilty on the current DUI charge, your lawyer may try to undermine the validity of prior convictions so you can possibly avoid a mandatory jail sentence.
- A skillful DUI lawyer should understand that your DUI arrest may be your first brush with the law and will probably try to make you feel comfortable, preparing you for the steps ahead.
Now that you know what to expect from a first interview with your DUI attorney, take the next step and call the law office of Patrick Canan today at (904) 824-9402. As your Jacksonville DUI lawyer, he can work with you to help ease your fears about the upcoming trial.